Monday, January 25, 2010

Reverence: Sara and Sam Sunbeam

I found a cute idea here with new ‘friends’ Sara and Sam Sunbeam. My husband was a bit skeptical, but I was determined to give it a try. I was working on this the day before the lesson so I didn’t have time to print out nice colorful versions, laminate them and so on. I simply put the images into Paint, colored them in, and printed them. I cut them out and slapped them on some Popsicle sticks and we were good to go. The kids paid total attention while I was introducing my new ‘friends’ saying that they had never been to primary before and needed to learn how to act. I went through questions like “What do our hands do in Primary?” “What do our feet do in Primary?” and the kids never looked away. I printed out extra sheets with black and white pictures of Sara and Sam Sunbeam that the kids colored in and they ended up wanting to cut them out and have their own ‘friends’. Anytime during the lesson that followed, I would simply say, “What do our ___ do in Primary?” (Insert whatever they are using to be distracting to the other kids) and point at the figures that we taped to the chalkboard. Sara and Sam Sunbeam are a huge success in our Primary class. The whole ordeal took all but 10 minutes (including the coloring – which only happened the first week) but the lesson they learned will (hopefully) last a lifetime.

Thank you Sugardoodle for a wonderful idea!

What do you use to help your kids be reverent?

No comments:

Post a Comment